There are many different ways to help a victim during an emergency, but what can we do if we find someone unconscious? If the victim is “Unconscious without Spine Injuries” the Recovery Position is designed to help keep the victims airway open as well as keeping the Head, Neck & Spine in a relatively strait line so that they can Recover. Many people have used this position not even thinking about it when they were even sick, injured or intoxicated.
To Perform the Recovery Position:
- Kneel Beside the victim and place the victims furthest arm from you above their head.
- Place the arm closest to you across the victims chest as a protector arm.
- The Key is in their Knee, bend the nearest leg up at the knee.
- Carefully slip your hand under the hollow of the victims neck to support the Head Neck & Spine, at the same time use your forearm by slipping it carefully under the shoulder for leverage.
- Place your free hand on the Key Knee and gently roll the victim away from you by applying steady pressure against the knee and shoulder at the same time. The victims head should rest on their raised arm.
- To secure the position pull the key knee further up and bring their protector arm out to use the elbow to stabilize the position.
- Check the Airway to make sure their still breathing.
We never know what can happen, its always good to be prepared and have the knowledge we need to help those who need it.
Just Remember too:
Protect Yourself!!! Call 911!!! Don’t Waste Time!!!