Nosebleeds have had many wives tales built into them on how to prevent and or stop them. Our First Aid Course focuses on the basics on how to help with any situation including Nosebleeds, remember that many wives tales may actually make the situation worse, so follow the approved medical technique in order to prevent further injuries from this common injury.
- Forceful Nose Blowing -High Blood Pressure -Dry weather Conditions -Trauma to the Nose -Bleeding disorders
- Wear PPE or Personal Protective Equipment when available
- Use a humidifier if the air indoors is dry
- Take safety precautions when participating in sports
- Encourage gentle nose blowing
What it Looks Like:
- Blood coming from the nose either fast or a slow drip
How to Help:
- Check the area, once the area is safe, Check the person and ensure the persons ABC’s are present “Airway / Breathing / Circulation” REMEMBER – Wear gloves if available to avoid bodily fluids.
- Call 911 if you suspect the injuries could be severe or if there are objects lodged in the nostril, the bleeding continues for more than 15 minutes or if the Nosebleed was caused by a medical condition or head injury.
- Care for the Nosebleed by:
- Have the person sit and lean slightly forward while pinching the nostrils for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Once the bleeding is controlled, tell the person to avoid rubbing, blowing or picking the nose “This may cause the nose to bleed again“
- If the person loses consciousness, place them in the recovery position to allow the blood to drain.
- If the Nosebleed was caused by a severe head injury, do not pinch the nose.
“If the bleed was caused by an object in the nose and the object is easy to grasp, gently pull it out. If the person’s head comes forward as you gently pull then stop, the person needs further medical attention. Don’t feel around inside the nostril with your finger if you can not see the object, this may push it further in, seek medical attention.“
We never know what can happen, its always good to be prepared and have the knowledge we need to help those who need it.
Learn First Aid Today, Save a Life Tomorrow with Saving Grace Medial Academy Ltd
Above all else remember to Protect Yourself!!! Call 911!!! Don’t Wast Time!!!
#FirstAid #FirstAidCourseEdmonton #BLS #BCLS #BLSforHCP #BLSCourseEdmonton #ACLS #AdvancedCardiovascularLifeSupport #EMR #EmergencyMedicalResponder #H2SAlive #H2SAliveEdmonton #OnlineFirstAidCourse #BlendedLearningOnlineFirstAidCourse #OnlineStandardFirstAidLevelC