After rescuing a victim there are many things that can be flowing through your mind. Did I do this right? Was my First Aid technique proper? Is there anything else I can do to help the victim? These questions are normal and there are even more that will pop in during an emergency.
Normally an Ambulance within an Urban setting can take anywhere from 5 too 25 minutes to respond, in Rural area’s response time can vary from 15 to 40 minutes an in most cases where distance is past 30 to 45 minutes a helicopter service may be deployed to meet you somewhere. In essence this means after you’ve rescued the victim you may have a little time to make sure that your First Aid techniques have helped.
We call this skill while your waiting a “Secondary Survey“, its your second chance to find something you might have missed during your primary survey. The Secondary Survey can be performed quite easily in two simple fashions, Hands On or Hands Off. What we mean by this is you can pat the person down from head to toe looking for injuries you might have missed “Hands On”, or “Hands Off” and ask the victim to tell you what’s going on.
Both techniques are easily performed but have their uses, the Hands on Check is normally performed for victims rendered unconscious due to the emergency they experienced, and the Hands Off check likewise is performed for victims still conscious enough to walk you through the emergency by asking them the SAMPLE history questions.
What to Do while waiting for an emergency?
- Care for the cause of the Emergency FIRST
- Have the victim rest in a position of comfort or the Recovery Position
- Keep the victim warm
- Ensure the victim is breathing and has an open airway
- Offer comfort, warmth and reassurance
- Double check “Hands on / Hands Off” SAMPLE Questions
- S – Signs & Symptoms -Whats wrong?
- A – Allergies – Do you have any?
- M – Medications – Are you on any?
- P – Past Medical History – Has this happened before?
- L -Last Meal – When / What did you eat?
- E – Event – Do you remember everything?
We never know what can happen, its always good to be prepared and have the knowledge we need to help those who need it.
Learn First Aid Today, Save a Life Tomorrow with Saving Grace Medial Academy Ltd
Above all else remember to Protect Yourself!!! Call 911!!! Don’t Wast Time!!!