Choking can happen to anyone of any age, and is one of the worst fears for many new parents as it happens fast causing serious problems including death. In most cases where the victim can still cough the object will come free on its own. However once the victim is unable to cough anymore the airway is potentially blocked and the victims life is now in jeopardy.
The most common causes of chocking include trying to swallow large pieces of food, eating while talking, walking or playing, being under the influence of an intoxicant or elicit substance while eating.
What to look for:
- Inability to speak, cough or breath
- Change in face color like bluish, red, or paler than normal
- Look of panic with wide eyes “Fear”
- One or both hands clutching the throat or flailing
- High pitch whistle or noise when they attempt to breath or cough
In the Adult or Child once you have identified yourself and that you are going to attempt to help them:
- Encourage the Victim to continue to cough the object free
- If the victim can no longer cough, speak or breathe
- Stand or kneel beside the victim and wrap one arm diagonally across the victims chest
- Bend the victim forward at the waist at a 90 degree angle
- With the palm of your hand deliver 5 FIRM BACK BLOWS between the shoulder blades to encourage them to cough.
3) If the object has NOT come free in the first 5 Back Blows
- Quickly stand the victim up strait and place one hand in a first just above the belly button thumb side in.
- Place your other hand over your fist hand and pull sharply in and up in a ” J ” like Motion 5 Times
4) Repeat the 5 FIRM BACK BLOWS & the 5 ABDOMINAL J THRUSTS until they POP or DROP.
5) If the Victim becomes unconscious and is not breathing Call for help 911 and begin CPR 30 Compression, 2 Breaths, Repeat 5 Times in a row.After your 5th cycle of 30/2 if the victim is not breathing repeat until help arrives.
To prevent yourself or others from chocking just remind them to chew food well before swallowing, eat slowly and calmly, try not to talk, laugh or do physical activities while chewing and avoid mixing meals with other substances which could alter your personality.
In any situation remember to
Protect Yourself!!! Call 911!!! Don’t Waste Time!!!
Swoop Into First Aid and Give a Breath of Life, Let First Aid Be your Saving Grace