This question gets asked by students taking our first aid courses all the time, and we do see the conundrum that many face in an Emergency as Liability, distance, Time or even a persons life may be at stake. For these very reasons we have come up with the simplest way to look at it.
Try not to…..., but if you do decide to take a person to the hospital we have included some steps to keep you and the victim safe. Lets call this “Stay & Play VS Load & Go”
Stay & Play “Wait for an Ambulance“
- Never drive an ill or injured person to the hospital if their condition is “Life Threatening” or spine related. The movement of being in a vehicle may adversely affect their injuries. You may not have to move the patient, your 911 Dispatcher will advise you on options you may have to secure the best medical aid given.
Load & Go “Take them to a hospital“
- For “Non-Life Threatening” injuries or illness.
- Step #1 – “911 on Speaker Phone” – Have 911 on speaker phone so everyone knows what the dispatcher needs you to do. This will also let the hospital know you are coming.
- Step #2 – “Take a Partner” – Have a calm person drive while you continue care. Having a partner to help in an emergency setting can make all the difference.
- Step #3 – “You Can NOT Speed” – as your vehicle is not a designated emergency vehicle its lack of visibility and sirens will put you and others into danger if you attempt to break the rules of the road. Just remember, if you get there safely, the victim will too, Better safe than sorry.
Learn First Aid Today & Save a Life Tomorrow with Saving Grace Medical Academy Ltd.
Protect Yourself!!! Call 911!!! Don’t Waste Time!!!