One heart felt and unfortunate emergency that you may have to deal with is a “Miscarriage“. A miscarriage is the spontaneous termination of a pregnancy and can often happen within the first 20 weeks after conception. Treating the mother for “Shock” will be the main focus of First Aid assistance during this traumatic emergency. There are some key steps to help, but the main point is to “remain calm, and supportive“.
- Hormonal or Genetic Reasons
- Certain illnesses
- Abnormalities in the womb
- Chemical exposure
What to watch for:
- Cramp-like pain that is similar to labor or menstruation
- Vaginal bleeding
NOTES TO REMEMBER:
- Never pass judgement “Keep personal opinions in check“
- Offer support and comfort
- Risk of miscarriage drops as pregnancy progresses
- Always consult a physician, your doctor will know what you can do to help reduce the risks of a preventable miscarriage.
How to help in Miscarriage:
- Check the area, once the area is safe, Check the person and ensure the persons ABC’s are present “Airway / Breathing / Circulation” REMEMBER – Wear gloves if available to avoid bodily fluids.
- Call 911 and get an AED if you are alone, you suspect a Head / Neck or Spine injury, there is a motor vehicle collision, dangerous environment or the injured persons life could be at risk.
- Care for the Miscarriage by:
Always follow recommendations by your Emergency Response professionals and 911 Dispatch personnel. “Never endanger yourself or the woman, you may “not” need to move or roll the woman”
- If there are other life threatening injuries, treat those first as quickly as possible with as little movement to the injured person.
- a) Attempt to calm and comfort the woman.
- b) “For Bleeding” Gently place a large dressing over the vaginal area. “DO NOT” put anything into the vagina.
- c) Treat the woman for shock, perform a secondary survey and treat any non-life-threatening conditions.
- d) Provide continual care until you see a Doctor or EMS arrive.
Just remember to be calm, and if you are not sure or you feel overwhelmed call 911 and medical professionals will help.
In any emergency just remember to Protect Yourself!!! Call 911!!! Don’t Waste Time!!!
Learn First Aid Today, Save a Life Tomorrow, let first aid training in Edmonton be your Saving Grace
Saving Grace Medical Academy Ltd
#Childbirth #EmergencyChildBirth #FirstAid #FirstAidCourseEdmonton #BLS #BCLS #BLSforHCP #BLSCourseEdmonton #ACLS #AdvancedCardiovascularLifeSupport #EMR #EmergencyMedicalResponder #H2SAlive #H2SAliveEdmonton #HomeBirth #HowToDeliverBaby #Miscarriage #SpontaneousTerminationOfPregnancy